Introduction to one of the inspiring organizations that our Women & Leadership in South Africa delegations engage with
Based in Cape Town, the Women’s Legal Centre is one of those truly inspiring organizations that our Women & Leadership in South Africa delegations visit and engage with. It has been established to advance women’s rights by conducting constitutional litigation and advocacy on gender issues.
The Centre has a vision of women in South Africa living:
- free from violence in safe housing,
- free to own their share of property,
- empowered to ensure their own reproductive health rights, and
- able to work in a safe and equal environment.
Its approach is quite unique:
- It litigates cases which advance women’s rights and are in the public interest, particularly constitutional cases.
- It produces briefs to assist courts in constitutional cases which concern women’s rights and gender equality.
- It provides women’s organizations with technical legal assistance in making submissions to parliament and other institutions.
- In the future, it hopes to provide training and capacity building programs for paralegals and women lawyers who wish to conduct constitutional litigation in regard to gender issues.
Join a Women & Leadership in South Africa delegation this summer:
Our two Women & Leadership delegations to South Africa this summer offer interested individuals the opportunity to explore the fascinating Rainbow Nation through the eyes of its women, and to meet and develop friendships with inspiring women leaders.
Program dates: Aug 13-20 (Shahzadi) | Aug 27-Sep 3 (Randell)
Program fees: $2,500 not including airfare
- Prof. Jackie Shahzadi, PhD of the University of Phoenix is a regularly sought speaker at conferences on women as global leaders. She serves on the boards of Women Graduates USA and the Virginia Gildersleeve International Fund (VGIF).
- Prof. Shirley Randell, AO, PhD is a renowned expert in gender mainstreaming and public sector reform in developing countries. She served as Vice President of the International Federation of University Women (now Graduate Women International).
For more information, please visit our program page.