In partnership with NBCC International (NBCC-I), GEI facilitates international opportunities for participants to travel to Rwanda to learn about the country’s history, communities and mental health capacities. The program includes a Mental Health Facilitator (MHF) trainers training with a group of up to 30 international and local participants, led by NBCC-I representatives. Participants then work with their Rwandan colleagues to conduct an MHF training for a local community. The international participants are selected by NBCC-I. The MHF program was created by NBCC-I and initially developed in collaboration with the World Health Organization. The program aims to improve mental health access in community settings by providing education on fundamental helping and referral skills. Please visit the MHF website for additional information. You can download a copy of the itinerary here.
Goal: Expansion of mental health service capacity in Africa Highlights:
- Learn more about Rwanda history and Rwandan mental mental health care.
- Become a registered NBCC-I Mental Health Facilitator trainer and receive a certificate of completion.
- Study together with a multicultural group of participants from Rwanda and abroad.
- Make a contribution to the development of Rwanda’s mental health capacity.
- Explore the country and its people through excursions to national parks, towns and villages.
- Create once-in-a-lifetime memories and build lasting friendships with professional colleagues.
- Earn 20 continuing education hours through NBCC-I.
- Feel safe and secure walking the streets of its modern, green capital
- A place where zero tolerance for corruption really means zero tolerance
- One of the most gender-progressive parliaments in the world
- Globally admired for its achievements in healthcare and education
- Just a stone’s throw away from world-class tourism activities like tracking endangered mountain gorillas
Welcome to Rwanda, a great development success story in today’s world.
The following in-country arrangements are included in the experience:
- All accommodation in shared mid-range hotel rooms (single rooms available at an additional cost)
- All in-country transportation for the delegation
- Meals, as specified in the itinerary, each including one locally produced soda or mineral water
- Admission to all activities, as specified in the itinerary
- MHF training and materials
- Mineral water available during transportation
- Full-time local delegation management and guiding
- 24/7 emergency support from our local program office
Not included are the international transport (flights, airport taxes, etc.), visas, travel and medical insurance, selected meals, alcoholic and additional nonalcoholic drinks, personal expenses, and other extras.
US $2,200 (program fee)
+ US $600 (NBCC-I registration fee)
- Program costs: US $2,200 (sharing room basis)
- Single occupancy supplement: US $120
- NBCC-I registration fee*: US $600
- *National Certified Counselors (NCCs) receive a US $100 reduced registration fee
- Optional mountain gorilla extension: US $2,150 (sharing room basis)
- Single occupancy supplement: US $60
NBCC-I: 20 CE hours
- Program itinerary: PDF download