In partnership with the National Board for Certified Counselors’ International Capacity Building division, GEI facilitates international opportunities for participants to travel to Vietnam to learn about the country’s history, communities and mental health capacities. The program includes a Mental Health Facilitator (MHF) trainers training with a group of up to 30 international and local participants, led by NBCC representatives. Participants then work with their Vietnamese colleagues to conduct an MHF training for a local community. The international participants are selected by NBCC. The MHF program was created by NBCC and initially developed in collaboration with the World Health Organization. The program aims to improve mental health access in community settings by providing education on fundamental helping and referral skills. Please visit the MHF website for additional information. You can download a copy of the itinerary here.
Goal: Expansion of mental health service capacity in South East Asia Highlights:
- Learn more about Vietnam history and Vietnamese mental health care.
- Become a registered NBCC Mental Health Facilitator trainer and receive a certificate of completion.
- Study together with a multicultural group of participants from Vietnam and abroad.
- Make a contribution to the development of Vietnam’s mental health capacity.
- Explore the country and its people through excursions to national parks, towns and villages.
- Create once-in-a-lifetime memories and build lasting friendships with professional colleagues.
- Earn 20 continuing education hours through NBCC International Capacity Building.
Today’s Vietnam is undergoing some of the fastest socioeconomic changes any country in the world has seen. Vietnam is a major development success story that has experienced remarkable rates of economic growth since the start of massive political and economic reforms called Doi Moi in 1986. It is now a middle-income country with a poverty rate of less than 10%, a massive influx of foreign investment, and booming modern cities that swallow up many of the surrounding villages. At the same time, the lure of modern living has a deep impact on the traditional networks of family and community that continue to play a pivotal role in Vietnamese society and more than half of the population of over 90 million is under the age of 26. It is this vibrant environment that forms the exciting backdrop for this program. The program gateway is Ho Chi Minh City, the former Saigon, Vietnam’s largest city with almost 10 million inhabitants, and the economic and cultural center of the country. Pulsating with energy, Ho Chi Minh City is a place of contrasts. Next to the timeless alleys with Buddhist temples and street vendors are modern designer malls and sleek skyscrapers. Ho Chi Minh City is the perfect embodiment of modern-day Vietnam – and the ideal place to start an exploration of Vietnamese culture.
The following in-country arrangements are included in the experience:
- All accommodation in shared mid-range hotel rooms (single rooms available at an additional cost)
- All in-country transportation for the delegation
- Meals, as specified in the itinerary, each including one locally produced soda or mineral water
- Admission to all activities, as specified in the itinerary
- MHF training and materials
- Mineral water available during transportation
- Full-time local delegation management and guiding
- 24/7 emergency support from our local program office
Not included are the international transport (flights, airport taxes, etc.), visas, travel and medical insurance, selected meals, alcoholic and additional nonalcoholic drinks, personal expenses, and other extras.
US $2,050 (program fee)
+ US $600 (NBCC registration fee)
- Program costs: US $2,050 (sharing room basis)
- Single occupancy supplement: US $200
- NBCC-I registration fee*: US $600
- *National Certified Counselors (NCCs) receive a US $100 reduced registration fee
- Optional Cambodia extension: US $800 (sharing room basis)
- Single occupancy supplement: US $105
- Optional Hanoi/Halong Bay extension: US $800 (sharing room basis)
- Single occupancy supplement: US $160
NBCC-I: 20 CE hours
- Program itinerary: PDF download