Are you passionate about increasing support to people who suffer from trauma? Did you know that trauma coaching can support mental health treatment and assist survivors in their recovery process? Trauma coaches also play a role in the interruption of self-perpetuated intergenerational trauma through skill-based supports.
Have you dreamed of visiting South Africa to experience the richness of the country’s diverse cultures and wildlife; and to learn about the country’s ongoing efforts in building a rainbow nation?
We invite international professionals interested in becoming trauma coaches to travel to South Africa and join us in a trauma coaching training workshop to learn how to approach interactions through a trauma-informed lens and to develop new competencies in a unique multicultural environment.
Masters level mental health care providers who are licensed in the U.S. may be eligible for up to 38 CEs. NBCC ACEP # 6912. Check with your licensing board to verify CE eligibility.
- Learn the principles of coaching within a multicultural context.
- Experience a high-level, specialized training on trauma-informed interactions.
- Gain invaluable competence to be a trauma coach.
- Share your knowledge and gain new insight through a unique African perspective on mental health.
- Explore an exciting destination and immerse yourself in the culture of your hosts.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.
You can view and download a copy of the program overview – with full itinerary (both main program and optional extension) – here.
Your program location: Cape Town / South Africa
Welcome to South Africa!
Whether you’re after extraordinary nature, rich history and culture, or amazing food and wine, South Africa has got it all.
Training Objectives & Core Competencies
- Participants will be able to identify the key principles of coaching.
- Participants will gain a basic understanding of trauma and its effects.
- Participants will understand the basics of trauma-informed interactions.
- Participants will be able to learn about emotion regulation & trauma recovery skills.
- Participants will understand the ethics of trauma coaching.
- Participants will learn to apply self-reflection & regulation capacity.
- Participants will understand coaching mindset (growth mindset, personal empowerment, strengths-based work, and person-centered work).
Additionally, participants will interact and engage with local trauma-support organizations, allowing for rich conversations about local experiences, challenges, and approaches, and to discuss trauma-informed care in the South African context. Each participant is eligible to receive a Trauma Coach certificate from the ITTC and GEI after completing 10 practicum hours with clients that occurs after the initial training.
Trauma Coaching is a 3-level certification process. Level III offers the title of Master Trainer. This program covers only level I of the certification with the following structure (Total hours 70):
- Total classroom hours: 50 hours ( 24 in person & 26 asynchronous learning prior to in-person meeting))
- Total Student Mentorship Meeting Hours: 10 hours (7 group, 3 individual).
- Total Client Practicum Hours (Required Prior to Level I Certification): 10 hours*
- *Coaches offer 10 hours of free coaching to a minimum of two clients (5 coaching sessions each) in exchange for recording of the sessions. Recordings will be used for evaluation of core competencies.
- *Performance Evaluation: Required Prior to Level I Certification Performance evaluation. Includes evaluation of core competencies, application of coaching principles, and evaluation of coaching sessions.
Application Process: Respond to initial questions on the form and submit a CV. ITTA will inform you of admission acceptance or denial within 15 days of your application. We accept maximum of 15 students per session.
Training workshop host institution: Integrative Trauma Treatment Center
The program is based on a collaborative effort between GEI and the Integrative Trauma Treatment Center. The Integrative Trauma Treatment Center (ITTC) provides trauma treatment to survivors of physical, emotional, and political trauma from a prism of honor, reverence, and optimism. It works from the assumption of inherent goodness, health, and capacity in all people. ITTC practitioners have various specialties in other arenas of mental health in addition to post-traumatic stress. Trauma is their specialty, which increases their ability to address other concerns with sensitivity, compassion, and skill. Medication management, acupuncture/Chinese medicine and massage are offered in conjunction with psychotherapy as an integrative approach to mental health.
Dates and fees
|Program||Application due||Start date||End date||Fees*|
|South Africa||August 1, 2022||October 2, 2022||October 9, 2022||US $2,890|
* Early bird discount (10%) available until May 1, 2022.
* This number doesn’t include the ITTC workshop fee (US $2,300). For this inaugural South Africa program, however, the fee is discounted at US $1,800.
We value full transparency and no hidden costs. As a result, you won’t have any disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Included in your program fees are accommodation (7 nights with breakfast and free WIFI), most meals (all breakfasts as well as 6 lunches and 3 dinners, each with 1 non-alcoholic drink), in-country transportation (including airport transfers), admission to all activities, mineral water on the vehicle, coordination/guiding, and 24/7 emergency support.
It is important that you take note of what is explicitly not included in the program fees. This helps you budget. Not included are the transportation to/from the program location airport (including international airfare and taxes), visas, travel and medical insurance, immunizations, some few meals, extra beverages and alcoholic drinks at the restaurants, potential COVID-19 requirements (such as RT PCR tests, self-isolation, etc), and personal expenses and other extras. Most importantly, the fee for the Trauma Coaching workshop itself is not included and needs to be paid directly to the Integrative Trauma Treatment Center and its education arm, the Integrative Trauma Treatment Academy, here. The regular fee for the workshop is US $2,300. For this inaugural South Africa program, however, the fee is discounted at US $1,800.
Optional post-program extension:
We also offer an optional 3-day post-program extension for those interested to explore Johannesburg’s Soweto township and the Apartheid Museum, as well as go on safari in one of South Africa’s stunning nature reserves, the Pilanesberg Nature Reserve.
Program overview download:
The Program overview – with full itinerary (both main program and optional extension) – can be viewed and downloaded here.
|Athena Phillips, LCSW
Founder, Integrative Trauma Treatment Center
Author & Lead Master Trainer, Trauma Coaching
|Cailin Human, MBA
GEI Regional Director, Southern Africa
Assistant Trainer, Trauma Coaching
Application & credits
Healthy & safety