Are you passionate about increasing support to people who suffer from trauma? Did you know that trauma coaching can support mental health treatment and assist survivors in their recovery process? Trauma coaches also play a role in the interruption of self-perpetuated intergenerational trauma through skill-based supports.
Have you dreamed of visiting Rwanda to experience the richness of the country’s culture and wildlife; and to learn about the country’s ongoing efforts in building their nation?
We invite international professionals interested in becoming trauma coaches to travel to Rwanda and join us in a trauma coaching training workshop to learn how to approach interactions through a trauma-informed lens and to develop new competencies in a unique multicultural environment.
- Learn the principles of coaching within a multicultural context.
- Experience a high-level, specialized training on trauma-informed interactions.
- Gain invaluable competence to be a trauma coach.
- Share your knowledge and gain new insight through a unique African perspective on mental health.
- Explore an exciting destination and immerse yourself in the culture of your hosts.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.
You can view and download a copy of the program overview here – with full itinerary (both main program and optional extension).
One of today’s greatest development success stories, Rwanda is Africa’s prime study abroad jewel. The country underwent a breathtaking transformation since the 1994 genocide. A model for poverty reduction and economic growth, it accounts for the highest percentage of women in parliament anywhere in the world. And the streets of its modern green capital Kigali are clean, safe, and free of corruption.
Training objectives & core competencies
- Participants will be able to identify the key principles of coaching.
- Participants will gain a basic understanding of trauma and its effects.
- Participants will understand the basics of trauma-informed interactions.
- Participants will be able to learn about emotion regulation & trauma recovery skills.
- Participants will understand the ethics of trauma coaching.
- Participants will learn to apply self-reflection & regulation capacity.
- Participants will understand coaching mindset (growth mindset, personal empowerment, strengths-based work, and person-centered work).
Additionally, participants will interact and engage with local trauma-support organizations, allowing for rich conversations about local experiences, challenges, and approaches, and to discuss trauma-informed care in the Rwandan context. Each participant is eligible to receive a Trauma Coach certificate from the Orenda Project and GEI after completing 10 practicum hours with clients that occurs after the initial training.
The Orenda Project’s Trauma Coaching certification offers:
- Total classroom hours: Approximately 50 hours (24 in-person & 26 asynchronous learning).
- Asynchronous learning hours will vary depending upon individual learning styles + comfort with technology.
- Access to our online student community throughout certification process.
- Lifetime access to our Alumni online student community.
- Access to our remote, monthly live meetings prior to and after the retreat-style training.
Respond to initial questions on the form and submit a CV. The Orenda Project will inform you of admission acceptance or denial within 15 days of your application. We accept a maximum of 15 students per session.
There are not any education requirements for this training, however in order to be successful, these are few recommendations and considerations:
- The course will be taught in English.
- A high school degree or equivalent is recommended.
- Proficiency and access to technology is required as this course is a hybrid of online independent learning as well as in-person.
Training workshop host institution: The Orenda Project
The program is based on a collaborative effort between GEI and the Orenda Project. The Orenda Project provides globally accessible courses on coaching or supporting trauma survivors through a lens of strength, goodness, and capacity in all people.
Dates and fees
|Program||Application due||Start date||End date||Fees*|
|Rwanda||January 1, 2023||February 11, 2023||February 18, 2023||US $2,890|
* This number doesn’t include the Orenda Project workshop fee (US $1,690)
We value full transparency and no hidden costs. As a result, you won’t have any disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Included in your program fees are accommodation (7 nights with breakfast and free WIFI), most meals (all breakfasts as well as 6 lunches and 5 dinners, each with 1 non-alcoholic drink), in-country transportation (including airport transfers), admission to all activities, mineral water on the vehicle, coordination/guiding, and 24/7 emergency support.
It is important that you take note of what is explicitly not included in the program fees. This helps you budget. Not included are the transportation to/from the program location airport (including international airfare and taxes), visas, travel and medical insurance, immunizations, some few meals, extra beverages and alcoholic drinks at the restaurants, potential COVID-19 requirements (such as RT PCR tests, self-isolation, etc), and personal expenses and other extras. Most importantly, the fee for the Trauma Coaching workshop itself is not included and needs to be paid directly to the Orenda Project, which can be completed, here. The regular fee for the workshop is US $2,300. For this program, however, the fee is discounted at US $1,690.
Optional post-program extension:
We also offer an optional 3-day post-program extension for those interested to do mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
Program overview download:
The Program overview can be viewed and downloaded here – with full itinerary (both main program and optional extension).
|Athena Phillips, LCSW
Founder & Course Creator, The Orenda Project
Founder, Integrative Trauma Treatment Center
|Yvonne Uwamahoro, MPH
Director, Mental Health Services at mHub Rwanda
Application & credits
Healthy & safety