The 3-week Social Innovation Lab field course provides you an opportunity to explore Nairobi’s highly innovative social innovation landscape, and to address social innovation topics in partnership with local entrepreneurs and civil society leaders.
GEI’s Social Innovation Labs in countries such as Rwanda, Kenya, South Africa and Vietnam aspire to drive collective social impact in the host countries by researching, designing and implementing out-of-the-box solutions with and for local communities. Student teams first develop key skills through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. You then spend two weeks working in interdisciplinary service-learning teams to address a specific social innovation topic in partnership with local entrepreneurs and civil society leaders. These topics derive from our ongoing Social Innovation Lab and Social Enterprise Incubator projects.
- Learn to use basic design thinking tools to solve social problems with a “designerly” mindset
- Understand the role of social innovation in dealing with complex sustainable development issues
- Engage with Kenyan entrepreneurs or civil society leaders to develop social innovation solutions.
- Work in a small multicultural team and gain invaluable intercultural competence relevant to your field of study.
- Explore the progress and challenges towards development of one of Africa’s leading success stories – Kenya.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.