Are you passionate about youth development? Do you believe in the transformative power of the performing arts? Did you know that over half of South Africa’s youth are unemployed, even though the country possesses one of the world’s strongest tourist economies? Would you like to help close this gap?
The 3-week Performing Arts Youth Development field course is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development – through the lense of youth artists. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with youth development organizations in Cape Town in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and study social-emotional competence. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with early-adolescent as well as adolescent youth of Xhosa descent. The highlight will be the planning and production of a concert as an entrepreneurial development opportunity.
- Sing, dance and drum around the campfire, in townships and at your very own event.
- Help talented teenagers to feel heard, understood and appreciated.
- Produce an exciting event side by side with local youth.
- Celebrate the precious cultural assets that South African youth inherit.
- See South Africa through the eyes of some of its most promising people.
- Meet the leaders of several inspiring youth development organizations.
- Create once-in-a-lifetime memories and build lasting friendships.