GLOBAL CLINICAL INTERNSHIP, ROTATION, ELECTIVE
AT A GLANCE
Dates: Custom dates, year-round
Duration: 4 weeks or longer
Destinations: Rwanda | Vietnam
Credit: 4 US credits (~ 8 ECTS credits) for eligible university students
Eligibility: Undergrad/grad - any field and level of study
Program fees: US $2,870 (4 weeks) + US $480 per extra week
- Combine a highly relevant global work experience with professional skills development, global change leadership competencices development, and cultural immersion.
- Work with African or Asian colleagues and develop your intercultural communication skills, confidence and adaptability.
- Gain new insight through a unique African or Asian perspective on healthcare in developing countries.
- Explore the progress and challenges towards development of an African or Asian success story.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.
PROGRAM LOCATION: RWANDA
PROGRAM LOCATION: VIETNAM
- Identify professional and personal values, strengths, and interests
- Describe disease processes, gender disparity, transitional epidemiology and emerging health issues
- Develop realistic diagnostic and management plans for local patients
- Appreciate how culture influences patients’ perspectives on health, disease, and the healing process
- Demonstrate strong communication and interactive skills for dealing with patients and other members of the health care team
- Discuss societal and environmental issues as they affect specific patient groups
- The interdisciplinary training focuses on cultural intelligence (CQ), transformations towards sustainable development, storytelling, and career development with special emphasis on international careers and networking.
Dates, fees, and scholarships
The program dates are generally identical across all program locations (Rwanda and Vietnam).
Year-round (4+ weeks)
US $480 per additional week
We value full transparency and no hidden costs. As a result, you won’t have any disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Included in your program fees are the placement and supervision at a host organization, a pre-placement orientation, a weekly interdisciplinary training session, a weekly meeting with the internship supervisor, accommodation (either in a host family with breakfast and up to 5 dinners per week or at a local guesthouse with breakfast), a personal meet & greet at the airport and transfer to the host family or guesthouse, and 24/7 emergency support by GEI staff.
It is important that you take note of what is explicitly not included in the program fees. This helps you budget. Not included are the transportation to/from the program location airport (including international airfare and taxes), visas, immunizations, meals and local transportation other than what’s included in your accommodation, excursions that you may want to do in your own time during weekends, general items and services of a personal nature, medical expenses not covered by the insurance provided, and other discretionary expenses. Also not included are potential expenses relating to any Covid-19-related measures, including testing, quarantine, or isolation requirements. Should such requirements exist, we will gladly provide on-site assistance, but you will have to cover all related expenses.
In addition, if you are an undergraduate student and want to seek academic credit, your college or university may charge additional fees for study abroad, or may require you to receive a transcript via GEI’s academic school of record, The College of New Jersey, which carries an additional fee of US $125 per credit.
GEI offers a variety of merit scholarships, trailblazer scholarships, and opportunity scholarships and grants. You can find further information as well as additional resources for external funding opportunities in the following blog post: Scholarships & Grants.
Meet our core team
Dr. Michael Grosspietsch, PhD
Academic Director, East Africa
Academic Director, Southeast Asia
Academic Director, Southern Africa
Operations Director, East Africa
Operations Manager, Kenya
Operations Manager, Vietnam
Director, Business Operations
FAQs - General
FAQs - Application & credits
FAQs - Health & Safety
FAQs - Trip arrangements
FAQs - Finances