GLOBAL VIRTUAL INTERNSHIP
AT A GLANCE
Dates: Custom dates, year-round
Duration: 4 weeks or longer
Destinations: Rwanda | Vietnam
Credit: 4 US credits (~ 8 ECTS credits) for eligible university students
Eligibility: Undergrad/grad - any field and level of study
Program fees: US $985 (4 weeks) + US $95 per extra week
Expect the following key elements:
- Cultural orientation: Interact with an international team and develop your cultural intelligence skills, confidence, and adaptability.
- Remote work modules: Foster your technology and personal skills to work remotely in new environment and across cultures.
- Destination deep dive: Gain new insight through a unique African or Asian perspective on social impact topics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Global café: Broaden your personal and professional network and connect with people from all over the world.
- Mentoring: Guided by your local preceptor, your specific tasks and assignments will combine a highly relevant global experience with professional skills.
- Interaction: A weekly synchronous Q&A session will be organized with your local preceptor and coordinators.
- Research-based learning: Improve your research skills, explore the landscape of your topic locally and globally, and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Engage with local peers: Work hand-in-hand with a local student peer, support each other, and learn from each other.
- Practical development tools: Work with your local peer and preceptor to produce practical tools such as a research paper, a literature review, guidelines, videos, flyers, and the like.
- Career: This virtual internship offers an opportunity to reflect on your personal drivers, values, and how you want to be perceived as a professional entering the workforce.
PROGRAM LOCATION: RWANDA
PROGRAM LOCATION: VIETNAM
- Identify professional and personal values, strengths and interests
- Develop an increased level of self-efficacy and competency in a specific career field
- Navigate technology essential for remote working
- Display professional communication through oral and written means in professional settings
The interdisciplinary training focuses on cultural intelligence (CQ), transformations towards sustainable development, storytelling, and career development with special emphasis on international careers and networking.
Dates, fees, and scholarships
The program dates are generally identical across all program locations (Rwanda and Vietnam).
Year-round (4+ weeks)
US $95 per additional week
We value full transparency and no hidden costs. As a result, you won’t have any disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Included in your program fees are the internship placement, pre-internship advising, development of a personal internship plan and goals, project- or research-based internship work, virtual interdisciplinary training and cultural activities/immersion, facilitated group reflections sessions, final presentation / report / essay to synthesize the learning experience.
If you are an undergraduate student and want to seek academic credit, your college or university may charge additional fees or may require you to receive a transcript via GEI’s academic school of record, The College of New Jersey, which carries an additional fee of US $125 per credit.
GEI offers a variety of merit scholarships, trailblazer scholarships, and opportunity scholarships and grants. You can find further information as well as additional resources for external funding opportunities in the following blog post: Scholarships & Grants.
Meet our core team
Dr. Michael Grosspietsch, PhD
Academic Director, East Africa
Academic Director, Southeast Asia
Academic Director, Southern Africa
Operations Director, East Africa
Operations Manager, Kenya
Operations Manager, Vietnam
Director, Business Operations
FAQs - General
FAQs - Application & credits
FAQs - Finances