TRAUMA COACHING IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Learn the principles of coaching within a multicultural context.
- Experience a high-level, specialized training on trauma-informed interactions.
- Gain invaluable competence to be a trauma coach.
- Share your knowledge and gain new insight through a unique African perspective on mental health.
- Explore an exciting destination and immerse yourself in the culture of your hosts.
- Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.
PROGRAM LOCATION: South Africa
- Participants will be able to identify the key principles of coaching.
- Participants will gain a basic understanding of trauma and its effects.
- Participants will understand the basics of trauma-informed interactions.
- Participants will be able to learn about emotion regulation and trauma recovery skills.
- Participants will understand the ethics of trauma coaching.
- Participants will learn to apply self-reflection and regulation capacity.
- Participants will understand coaching mindset (growth mindset, personal empowerment, strengths-based work, and person-centered work).
Additionally, participants will interact and engage with local trauma-support organizations, allowing for rich conversations about local experiences, challenges, and approaches, and to discuss trauma-informed care in the South African context. Each participant is eligible to receive a Trauma Coach certificate from the Orenda Project and GEI after completing 10 practicum hours with clients that occurs after the initial training.
The Orenda Project’s Trauma Coaching certification offers:
- Total classroom hours: Approximately 50 hours (24 in-person & 26 asynchronous learning).
- Asynchronous learning hours will vary depending upon individual learning styles + comfort with technology.
- Access to our online student community throughout certification process.
- Lifetime access to our Alumni online student community.
- Access to our remote, monthly live meetings prior to and after the retreat-style training.
Respond to initial questions on the form and submit a CV. The Orenda Project will inform you of admission acceptance or denial within 15 days of your application. We accept a maximum of 15 students per session.
There are no educational requirements for this training. However in order to be successful, please take the following recommendations and considerations into account:
- The course will be taught in English.
- A high school degree or equivalent is recommended.
- Proficiency and access to technology is required as this course is a hybrid of online independent learning as well as in-person.
Dates and fees
October 12-19, 2024
US $1,894 workshop fee
We value full transparency and no hidden costs. As a result, you won’t have any disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Included in your program fees are accommodation (7 nights with breakfast and free WIFI), most meals (all breakfasts as well as 6 lunches and 5 dinners, each with 1 non-alcoholic drink), in-country transportation (including airport transfers), admission to all activities, mineral water on the vehicle, coordination/guiding, and 24/7 emergency support.
It is important that you take note of what is explicitly not included in the program fees. This helps you budget. Not included are the transportation to/from the program location airport (including international airfare and taxes), visas, travel and medical insurance, immunizations, some few meals, extra beverages and alcoholic drinks at the restaurants, potential COVID-19 requirements (such as RT PCR tests, self-isolation, etc), and personal expenses and other extras. Most importantly, the fee for the Trauma Coaching workshop itself is not included and needs to be paid directly to the Orenda Project, which can be completed, here. The regular fee for the workshop is US $2,300. For this program, however, the fee is discounted at US $1,894.
Meet our core team
Athena Phillips, LCSW
Course Creator & Lead Instructor
Founder, The Orenda Project
Founder, Integrative Trauma Treatment Center
Program Director, South Africa
CEO, mHub - The Mental Health Hub
Director, Professional Development Programs, Global Engagement Institute
Academic Director, Southern Africa
FAQs - General
FAQs - Application
FAQs - Health & Safety
FAQs - Trip arrangements
FAQs - Finances